My amazing illustrator friend Laura Jacobsen was kind enough to lay this award on me! Here are the rules for this award... 1) Thank the person who gave you this award. 2) Share 7 things about yourself. 3) Pass the award along to 5 bloggers who you have recently discovered and you think are fantastic! 4) Contact the bloggers you've picked and let them know about the award.
Here are 7 things about me:
1. If I didn't have my amazingly talented and super cute husband Cameron to help me in my illustration career, I would probably be making air quotes when I said the word 'career'. I would also most likely be calling the internet "the website" and be under the impression that one's personal on-line diary is called a "blob".
2. I'm a Christ follower but my favorite comedian is Patton Oswalt. Quite a pickle.
3. I have had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis for 19 years. Basically my hands and feet are pretty wacky looking, but I am thankful to the Lord that I am still able to do pretty much everything anyone could do. Except play guitar, but I REALLY sucked at that anyway.
4. I hate it when people complain about the heat. I live in Arizona, the testing ground for global warming. You have lost all privilege of complaining in a topical manner regarding your 95° heat wave. Did your flip-flops start melting when you went out to get the mail? No? Stop talking.
5. I am most inspired by kids' (especially my kids') art work. I know that sounds sickeningly sentimental but kids draw in the most liberating way. When I worked at a daycare, I would regularly steal kids' artwork. One kid got wise to me. "This is for my Mommy" little Kyle said as he handed me the most amazing drawing. "Sure, sure, Kyle. I'll put it in your cubby" He paused for a moment, regarded the covetousness in my face and slowly pulled the picture out my hands. "I'll hold it until my Mommy comes."
6. When working, I am a podcast junkie. I love, heart, ♡, what-have-you This American Life, The Moth, Stuff You Should, Escape from Illustration Island, to name a few.
7. I am OCD about my bed. It must be made everyday. I was once accused by a roommate that I actually slept on top of my blankets because she had never seen my bed unmade.
My blog crushes:
1. our.city.lights my friend Diana is, in a nutshell, a Blogging Ninja. She is so amazing, her talent is exuding from her skin (in the form of wickedly cool tattoos).
2. Diahn Ott Diahn's blog is an all encompassing mix of life and art. Her blog is so fun and casual, it makes you think "oh, I totally should write a post today just like Dia...OOOOH! There's a new 'Ellen' on!"
3. Melissa Kojima Melissa's blog kicks me in the lazy butt. Every time she posts on Twitter or on her blog, it's always gets me pumped to work on, well, work.
4. Zeichen Press I have talked about Fran's blog before but it bears repeating because it is just so stinking funny. Her letterpress cards are amazing and you have to stand up and take notice to anyone that compares herself to wet cat.
5. Drawger Well, it's not technically a blog but more of a great resource to a poll of abundantly talented illustrators.